USCG Light Station
Restoration Photo Album, Page 3

Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6

Click on any image to view large version

Number one volunteer, Ron Mans, taking a well deserved break after framing in stairs that will lead from first floor to second floor landing and keeper's office.

A mild winter allowed outside work to continue. In late January, a backhoe and two workers showed up to bury the electrical drop to the Light Station. Smiling amidst the mud, this cheerful guy was redigging the trench after the electrical service to the generator building was accidentally severed. It was our good fortune that this occurred, as we were left with the task of back filling the trench. The weather turned cold and the dirt froze. The good fortune part was that in shoveling the soil back into the trench, Rick Smith and Linda Nenn began finding bits and pieces of china, tin and glassware. So, the shovel was replaced by rakes and, as the sun slowly took the frost out of the ground, the hunt for fragments of the past continued. On March 25th, Rick discovered a small round object that upon closer inspection and gentle cleaning turned out to be a Light House Establishment button. By checking the back stamp, we dated the brass button to 1857-1863. A real treasure!
Board member Randy Tetzlaff doing the dirty work of cleaning up after painting. The months of January, February and March have been one long painting project, but the end is near!
Historical Society member Beth Tetzlaff takes her turn painting. Beth has also been spotted up on the scaffolding helping install the new clapboard siding.
We've come a long way in a very short time! This is a corner of the sitting room with a bit of the sunroom in the background. The new 5/4 yellow pine flooring is due to be installed, by volunteers Francis Pierron and Lloyd Croatt, beginning April 1, 2002. Francis is a custom home builder, so the flooring will be in good hands. Francis and Lloyd are of Luxembourg heritage, making the Luxembourg/America connection even stronger on the project.
The new tower arrives!  Fed Ex transported the 5 containers from JFK in New York using Land Star the largest independent owned and operating trucking company in the nation. The truckers encountered a Spring snowstorm through Pennsylvania and Ohio. They observed many trucks overturned and cars in the ditch. The weather in Port Washington was beautiful and clear though cold.
Unloading the crates from the trucks with a locally-built SkyTrak loader.  AZCO Inc. donated their crane service. They are located in Appleton, Wisconsin
Moving another heavy crate.
Jim Burmesch, who is a Fed Ex driver, orchestrated the Fed Ex shipment through customs at JFK in New York to Port Washington. Mary Flierl, historical society member, who acted as recipient of the shipment.
AZCO's SkyTrak moves a crate to the side of the light station.
The crates are unloaded. They are ready for the Luxembourg workers who will arrive 21 April to install the tower on the Light Station.
Mike Applegate, Land Star Freight Agent Jim Burmesch, FedEx Driver Bill Elliott, Regional Manager for the Landstar Carrier Group The entire shipping cost for the 5 containers was donated by FedEx. They hired Land Star which is the largest owner-operated trucking firm in the nation. They are the largest specialized carrier in the nation.
Harold Schachel, Sr. and Harold, Jr. kicked up their heels at the end of a day of nailing on clapboard siding. Harold, Sr. joined our small band of regular volunteers after spending a day on site with Habitat for Humanity volunteers. The Habitat group helped us out while they await a site to build Ozaukee County's first Habitat house. Their skills and assistance were much appreciated.

Back to the Light Station Renovation home page

This page updated Wednesday, November 20, 2002